Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tooth Implant

I was looking on the BBC news website and I found an article about a tooth implant that "releases drugs." (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6400021.stm). According to the article, the implant would be placed inside two artificial molars and secured inside of someone's mouth. It has an "electric timing mechanism" that is programmed to release the particular drug into the persons mouth at certain times. The article contains more details on how it works. If the testing goes alright, it could be available by 2010. The implant could possibly eliminate people having to take pills or get shots. People would no longer have to worry about taking medicines at certain times throughout the day. This implant seems like it would be great, however, drug companies may be greatly affected in a negative way. If pills are no longer necessary, how will the companies make money? I thought that there might be a deal between the drug companies and the maker of the implant, but there is no information in the article. This implant an example of a technological advancement that benefits some people but hurts others.
The concept of the implant seems great, but there may be some problems. The implant releases the drug into a person's mouth, but I wonder what it would taste like. What if they choke on the liquid because it releases at an unexpected time? How much will it cost? What if I don't want 2 of my molars removed? These are only a few of my questions and I am sure people will be asking a lot more in the future.

No comments: